Thursday, July 20, 2017

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Coconut Pandan Waffles


You guys. These waffles are so good. I love Coconut Pandan Waffles anyway. I used to make batter and keep it in the fridge for snacks or a quick breakfast. While I don't have any gluten intolerance, or dairy intolerance I just finished a Whole30 and feel really good. I'm less bloated, sleeping better. So I try not to goo crazy with the things that do make me a little bloated, like wheat. I am finding that I sleep better if I don't have it for dinner or later in the day. I'm still narrowing it down and keeping mental notes, I should keep a food journal. But that is a whole other post. Back to these great waffles.  I'm literally not missing the wheat flour in my Coconut Pandan Waffles because of this recipe. I'm not missing the butter either. I wasn't sure how to change this recipe, originally I thought I would just try half rice flour and half tapioca, I figured it would work. Then I walked in my pantry and thought I'd try the oats because we do like oats in our pancakes and oats make cookies chewy. So I tried it, what could go wrong right? Nothing went wrong. It went right. The first time. So there was no need to try the just rice and tapioca flour.

I still use refined sugar/evaporated cane juice in this recipe. I may try honey at some point. I eat these waffles without syrup also. So that's another reason I add sweetener. If you don't want the sugar, I don't see why you can't leave it out. It does help form a bit of a crisp crust on the waffles, but it's not a huge deal to not add it as far as the waffle's structure.
Original Coconut Pandan Waffle recipe (which is also SO YUMMY>

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Coconut Pandan Waffles

Makes 6-8 Belgian waffles depending on the size of the waffle maker and how much shredded coconut you add.
1.5 cups gluten free rolled oats, quick cooking 120 grams
1 can coconut milk (13.5 fluid ounces/400 ml or Thai Kitchen is 13.66 fluid ounces/403 ml)
3/4 cup tapioca flour, 85 grams
3/4 cup rice flour, 85 grams
1-3/4 teaspoon of baking powder, 7 grams
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 3 grams
pinch of salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar, 158 grams
3 tablespoon coconut, avocado, or olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon coconut extract
2 teaspoon pandan extract

1/2 cup shredded coconut, I prefer unsweetened (Optional)
  1. Place rolled oats and the coconut milk in a blender and blend until smooth. 
  2. Add remaining ingredients (except the shredded coconut) and blend until smooth.
  3. Let the batter rest while the waffle iron is heating up.
  4. Stir in shredded coconut, if using.
  5. Cook batter in a waffle iron. I use the #3 setting for 3 minutes on my classic waffle iron, and on my Belgian waffle iron I use the #4 setting for 4 minutes.
  6. Place the waffles on a cooling rack or serve immediately. If you put them on a plate to cool they will get soggy.
  7. These waffles are traditionally served plain while hot and crispy on the outside.
    These waffles are best eaten as they come off the waffle iron, or the day of. 




Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.